Peter and I were working on one of the new songs yesterday, "You Don't Own Me." I thought I'd post a bit about the how that song has progressed.
I first thought of this song as a sort of Rage Against the Machine-like chant coming out of Uncle Killborn, taking that song's simple mantra (I am Uncle Killborn, I am Uncle Killborn... and if I forgot to mention, I am Uncle Killborn) and pushing it further, using one line over and over: you don't own me.
Then I was out for karaoke one night and heard a woman do a version of "You Don't Own Me" by Lesley Gore. I had forgotten this song existed and suddenly it seemed to perfectly fit with the sentiment I wanted to express there, but within the structure of a totally different song. And something about the way this woman sang it, high and warbly and kind of pitiful, made it more appealing. I wondered if the angry scream I envisioned could morph into these tight girl group harmonies, careening between toughness and vulnerability?
So I worked out a version (it's still not screamy enough to start with) using the new pedal. Then working with Peter yesterday he realized that the chord progression we were using was the same as a Portishead song. He brought it up on his computer and I couldn't believe it, it meshed so well.
Here's the song, Glory Box: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WcPJP0XPdA&feature=related
And here's another Portishead song. I feel like their vibe really gels with Undine: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vg1jyL3cr60
Dude, when do we get to do Undine backed by a symphonic orchestra???
You can listen to Lesley Gore sing You Don't Own Me on the links to the right.
UPDATE: here is another version of Glory Box, from a 1994 show: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AbhYEg-srU&feature=related. I love the look of this performance, with the lights and the way the band is arranged.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment